It seems that about this time of year, I feel very distracted and not very artsy! All my senses focus on family and hearth. Instead of painting, I turn to cooking. Instead of sketching, I decorate. I still think of books I want to write and spend hours looking at and dissecting works of art. But, November and December is for family and merriment.
You would think I had a large family and that every year we all come together to spend our days in family bliss. This is not the case. My family consists of the four, my husband, myself, and my two boys. I do have other family, but they live far and we never get together during the holidays. I love just being with the four. We play board games, we gamble, we watch movies, we hang out and just relax.
Here are 10 of my favorite things about this time of the year.
1. Laundry….I know I know, I hate laundry too, but there is something about getting the warm, clean smelling clothes out of the dryer when it’s cold outside. It’s appealing.
2. Peppermint Bark. I don’t think I need to explain that one.
3. The smell of slow roasting foods.
4. Baking. I don’t care what it is…home baked goods period.
5. Shopping. I love going out and finding the perfect gift. I think I have that shopping disease.
6. Short days. Don’t ask me why. I think it’s because I like the glow of lamps.
7. A nice fire, nothing is more snuggly.
8. Hot cocoa with homemade vanilla marshmallows.
9. Wrapping paper. I love pretty little illustrations all over the place.
10. Port, enough said.