Ok, so I said I was going to post twice this month, so here it goes. I am in crunch time now for painting the illustrations for “There’s a Yak in My Bed.” All my sketches have been approved and now It’s time to paint, paint, paint.
sketch for cover “There’s a Yak in My Bed”
I started with the cover. I really liked the sketch but as I started to paint, it just didn’t seem right. The colors, and the flatness of the image left me wondering (As illustrators and artists often do) if I had any talent and why the heck was I torturing myself.
Blocked in color for wrap around cover.
I’ve started to add layers of color and small details to the objects in the illustration. Slowly defining the images.
I think I’m finished. I don’t know what to do. I’m not happy with the illustration and this is the cover. This image will not only set the tone for the book, but also be the first thing that buyers will see. The cover sells the book. How am I to put this out there if even I can’t stand it! AHHHhhhHHhhhHHh.
I e-mail it to my critique group who guilde me gently to my errors. After a large glass of ……………Tea, I decide to change many, many things. Let it be said, that there are also many, many things I ignored.
Some changes are obvious, while others, …well, think of it as a search and find. I like the look of this much better. Now that this is finished, hopefully, the others illustrations will go smother. Either that or I will have to go out and get some more …….Tea!